Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 4


The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity. - Ayn Rand

This week I had an amazing opportunity to see the TEM (Transmission Electron Microscope) and the SEM (Scanning electron microscope) here at UNH.  These microscopes were remarkable to watch in action.  I was able to play around with the SEM after directions were given.  We were actually able to see the dirt in between the hairs on a black fly, gross I know, but pretty awesome too!


This is the TEM.  Want to buy one new?
 I was told that  this one new is $1.2 million!
This is the SEM.




















Setting up the TEM
Looking at samples.

Looking at one of the samples through the TEM computer.


This is an example of the samples used for the SEM.  They must be coated.


Neat!


This is a worm!





“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” - Sarah Caldwell

On Tuesday of this week the RET program was visited by the Einstein Fellow.  This was also a unique opportunity to meet, as well as, speak with such an established teacher about what we love to do…TEACH and LEARN!  This week I also completed three more experiments.  All of the experiments were done with the same procedure as those before to collect legitimate data.  Soon I will be “completing” the process and presenting my results.  I put completing in quotes to make quite clear that though my time may be ending soon here at UNH the research, inquiry, and plans for implementation will never really be completed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment