Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 3 - Time is flying by!


“Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.”

– Dennis P. Kimbro
Project:
To start the week off I completed my first “trial” experiment.  I would compare this to my first day of teaching.  I had a lot of anxiety.  It was something new to me; I don’t remember the last time I did a formal experiment.  I made a few mistakes along the way as I fumbled through the first “trial” experiment.
This is what the eye tracker looks like when it is turned on and ready to go.


This is my view of the car during the experiment

When the experiment was complete I was disappointed in myself for making mistakes and being so nervous.  After a few minutes, I go over it! I think one of the greatest lessons I have learned in life is mistakes will be made, learn from them and move on.
Gathering data from the first “trial” experiment
Experiment 2 was completed a few days later and it went much smother (at least I felt it did).  A few teachers from the program came over to do the experiment.  It was a lot of fun!
This is me calibrating the eye tracker. Similar to when I calibrate the Enoboard at school.

After my experiment, the teachers who came over to participate tried driving. Here is a view of the road from the car.

After both of the experiments I looked at the data and plotted it in Excel.  Looking at the data I feel much like I do when the students take the AIMSweb or NWEA tests during the school year.  I want to get them corrected and get the data in the computer to see their progress right away because I am so excited to see their hard work to pay off.  Now I am excited to see if the data did what I thought it was going to.  It is very exhilarating!
Preliminary look at data from “trial” experiment 1. Looks pretty good!
This week I was also able to get out of my lab and go see a few things around campus.  I was able to visit the labs of the other teachers who are participating in the program as well as attend a class.  (I hope to have pictures of the other labs posted in the next couple of weeks).  It is great to be able to take part in so many opportunities.

This is me showing some of the teachers in my program my lab.

Teaching:
There are two parts to this program, the research and the curriculum that is to be developed for our classrooms.  This week I decided to spend a little bit of time working on the curriculum as my time here seems to be flying by.  While fishing around I found a blog I would highly recommend to any math teacher of any grade.  Here is the link:
The author of the blog has also done a presentation on TED.  Here is the link if you want to check that out as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment