Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My first week


Project:
Have you ever been to the eye doctors and had them dilate your eyes?  If you have, did you look into the mirror to see how big your pupils (the black part in the middle of your eye) were?  Researchers have found that your pupils also dilate as you think hard.  This summer I have an amazing opportunity to work with a professor at UNH, Andrew Kun, to experience what it is like to be involved in a research project.  Andrew’s research interest is in car user interfaces.  I believe this to basically mean, ways to make things such as cell phones and gps, which are helpful to the driver less distracting and in turn causing less accidents.  This week as I was introduced to the project I have been able to drive twice in the driving simulator they have!  All I could think of when I was in there is how much my students would love to experience that.  And you will be glad to know I only went off the road once!  I was able to collect some data from that as well as learn how to calibrate the eye tracker (The device that is able to measure the diameter of your pupils).  I have a lot to learn still, however  I am exhilarated to be involved in an experience which displays applications of math which can not only be fun, but could save someone’s life.


This is the building where the research lab is. I will be spending a lot of time here this summer!
Teaching:
The first week of this program the teachers involved in the program met every morning to discuss inquiry and how we use it in our classroom.  We had very rich discussion about some of the challenges as well as different levels of inquiry involved in the classroom.  At the end of the RETE program we are expected to create or modify a lesson plan that utilizes our research this summer.  I am extremely motivated to bring some of the ideas I have learned this summer back to the classroom!

Welcome to UNH!!
A couple of side notes:
  • During one of the meetings I had with my mentor, Andrew, this week we got on the topic of women in engineering   particularly, but also science and math.  If you are interested please check out this link:
  • I am sure I will learn many things during my seven weeks in this program, I have already learned so much!  However, I think one of the most important things I will experience took place on Tuesday, when I first met my mentor Andrew.  I was very anxious, nervous, and generally feeling uncomfortable previous to our meeting.  I certainly felt out of my element, like the expression a fish out of water.  When I met my mentor he was very welcoming and excited to have me there.  He explained things to me in a way I could understand and when I admitted I did not understand or was unfamiliar with a term he was never degrading, never made me feel inferior.  I walked away from that experience thinking about my students.  Some of my students feel uncomfortable or out of their element in a math class and some even as they enter school.  I only hope that I make my students feel as welcomed and comforted when they enter my classroom, as I had that afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment