Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Week 3 Year 2


“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I started some testing this week. That was fun and nerve-racking all at the same time. The first time I ran the test the machine began to make a strange noise and shake. Both the graduate students who were observing and I reached to stop the test at the same time. After a few minutes of evaluating the template which tells the machine what to do we tried it again. After a trial and errors we were able to run the test through smoothly. Luckily nothing was broken! After a test or two we had a group meeting with Dr. Daniel and I was told that another person in the lab needed to have priority on the machine since they would be on vacation next week.
Specimen ready to be tested!



This is what the computer looks like during my test.

Following the meeting the rest of the week I spent looking at data and working with others in the lab to figure out a better, easier way to look at all the data. The first afternoon I looked at the data I think I crashed the computer two or three times and spent more time watching the “thinking circle” go around then looking at data. Thankfully, Dave, the graduate student I am working with and Sonja, an undergraduate in the lab this summer were able to come up with a MatLab code that filtered my data so it is more reasonable to work with. Though, creating the MataLab code was a slow, daunting task for them it was very valuable for me. I was able to learn a little about MatLab, but more importantly I was able to witness and be part of some of the collaboration and problem solving that takes place in research.



After the code was created I was able to learn the first steps in processing the data. I first need to open MatLab and run the code to filter the data. Then I copy the data into the template that zeros the time and microstrain to give me curves to fit. Once the curves are fit I am able to get dynamic modulus and phase angle through equations in the template. These I believe I will be using to plug into another program to get the information I need for my project. I have had a great time learning more about Excel and all the tools it has for looking at data! This is something I definitely hope to bring back to my classroom.

Unfit curves

Fit curves

No comments:

Post a Comment